Government of India is taking strong steps towards eradicating fake Pan Cards in the country and now it is going to deactivate almost 11,44,211 PAN Cards by July 2018. It is an offense to carry more than one PAN number registered under his/her name.
Central Government has identified several PAN cards registered under non-existing people who have given false information about themselves for PAN. Govt has released an official statement as ” The uniqueness of PAN is achieved by conducting a de-duplication check on all already existing allotted PAN against the data furnished by the new applicant. Under the existing system of PAN, only demographic data is captured”
Indian Citizen cannot hold more than one PAN. A penalty of Rs. 10,000 is liable to be imposed under section 272B of the Income-tax Act, 1961 for having more than one PAN. If a person has been allotted more than one PAN then he should immediately surrender the additional PAN card(s).
Government said it is important for everyone to check if their PAN CARD status is still active and has asked everyone to link their PAN Cards with the AADHAR Card before 31st Aug 2018.
How to Check your Pan Card Status – Steps here :-
- Log on to incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in
- In the Left-hand column, in the SERVICES tab click on ‘KNOW YOUR PAN’ option
- Once you click on the ‘know your pan’ option, it will land you in another page wherein you need to give your personal details- name, status, dob, contact nb
- You will receive an OTP on your mobile nb, you need to enter the OTP on the page you land to. Enter the OTP and hit ‘Validate’
- If there are more than one PAN cards registered with the details provided, you will see a pop message saying “There are multiple records for this query. Provide additional information.” Enter some more details such as your father’s name.
- If your PAN number is not duplicate, you will receive a message ACTIVE under Remarks column which means your PAN Card is still active.